If a student has been hospitalized and will not be in class, they can notify the Dean of Students Office to initiate an Emergency Notification. Student Assistance staff will make contact with students who have requested Emergency Notifications when they return to campus to provide support and an opportunity to learn about other resources. Depending on the length of the absence and its impact on the semester, Student Assistance staff can also talk students through various academic options that might impact their success at Iowa State University.

Mental Health Hospitalization

If a student is hospitalized for mental health concerns, staff in Student Assistance work closely with the social workers at Mary Greeley Mecical Center (located in Ames) to make contact with the student and provide immediate support. If a student is not hospitalized in Ames, it is recommended that students sign a Release of Information and have the hospital contact the Dean of Students Office at 515-294-1020 to initiate an Emergency Notification.

Once released from the hospital, Student Assistance staff will be in contact to set up a meeting to help students identify all the resources available to make the transition back to the university as seamless as possible. Iowa State University has both medical and mental health options available on campus at Thielen Student Health Center and Student Counseling Services. In some instances, a referral to Student Accessibility Services may be appropriate to help with campus accommodations. 

Additionally, this mental health resource guide will assist in students in their transition back to campus.