Communication Tips for Students
Generally, it is a student's responsibility to reach contact their faculty to discuss any concerns, such as absences or getting caught up on missed coursework. Students should always review their faculty's syllabus for each course and the general attendance guidelines as described in the catalog.
General Tips include:
- Review Syllabi Students should review their syllabi to see how each faculty prefer to be contacted (in person, email, phone, etc) and to review which course work they will miss/have missed.
- Utilize Faculty Office Hours Students should consider visiting office hours to discuss their situation in person with the faculty.
- Talk with Faculty Students could try to connect with faculty before/after their next class to begin the discussion, but understand faculty may not be able to fully resolve the situation at that time.
- Department Chairs If students are not receiving responses or need additional assistance, they could include the department chair after their initial communications with the faculty. Department chair contact information is found here.
- Academic Grievance Process If a student is not satisfied with the resolution with the faculty, the appropriate mechanism to address their concerns would be the academic grievance process.
- Student Assistance If students still need assistance with any of the above or need additional support as they return to classes after absences, they can contact Student Assistance to discuss their options.