Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I am having roommate issues?

Your first step should be having a conversation with your roommate about expectations of the living arrangement.

  • If you live on campus, use the roommate agreement form provided by your CA to help start the conversation. If this does not seem to resolve the issue, we ecncourage you to connect with the Department of Residence, your Community Advisor or Hall Director, who are resources that can help resolve the issue or provide other housing options.
  • If you are an off campus student, Student Assistance staff can hear your concerns and offer resources and support. 

What should I do if I'm concerned for another student?

Student Assistance staff are available to talk through what may be the best response for helping a student.  Student Assistance staff can be reached at 515-294-1020 or via email.  You can also fill out a referral form if you wish to pass information along and do not have a need to discuss directly with our staff.  If your concerns are about a students immediate health/safety, please call ISU Police at 515-294-4428. 

I've been told to contact the Dean of my college. What does that mean?

Typically when students are referred to the Dean by a faculty member or academic process, this is the Dean responsible for administrative leadership within each of the University's eight academic colleges . A complete roster of the academic leadership for all ISU Colleges is provided by the Provost's Office. 

What should I do if I think I've been treated unfairly by an instructor or have other academic concerns?

Iowa State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, sex, marital status, disability, or status as a U.S. Veteran. Inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies may be directed to Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, Ames, Iowa 50011, Tel. 515 294-7612, email

If you feel you've been treated unfairly or have other academic concerns not related to a protected class, the University provides an academic grievance process to resolve your concerns. Student Assistance staff can meet with you to explain how this process works and assist if you choose to move forward with this option. While the Student Assistance staff is happy to help you navigate this process, the final authority for resolving academic concerns remains with the faculty. Therefore, students will be referred back to their instructors or the appropriate department chair or academic dean to identify a resolution.

What should I do if I am sick and cannot attend class?

It is a student's responsibility to notify their instructors if they are unable to attend class. If students are unable to initiate this contact due to a crisis or more severe illness such as hospitalization, the Dean of Students Office can facilitate an Emergency Notification.

How do I know if ISU is cancelling class?

In the event of inclement weather or other university closure, information about class cancellation will be communicated on the Iowa State University Homepage