Grief and Loss

Grief is a normal response of emotion and sometimes confusion that comes from losing someone close to you; and although difficult, grief is a natural part of life. Grief can come in many forms, typically in response to death, a break-up, a move away from friends and family, or loss of good health due to illness. Grief is the body's response to loss; it is the emotional suffering you feel when something or someone you love is gone or taken away. Many associate grief with the death of a loved one, but grief can also come from the loss of:

  • Health 

  • A relationship

  • Safety after a trauma

  • A pet

When to seek professional help for grief

If you recognize any of the symptoms of grief, talking with a counselor can be helpful. 

Contact Student Counseling Services if you:

  • Feel like life isn't worth living
  • Wish you had died with your loved one
  • Blame yourself for the loss or for failing to prevent it
  • Feel numb and disconnected from others for more than a few weeks
  • Are having difficulty trusting others since your loss
  • Are unable to perform your normal daily activities
  • Want someone to talk to about how you are feeling

Grieving the loss of a Cyclone

The death of a student in our campus community is a tragic event and the university is committed to responding with care and support. Grieving family members, friends, faculty, staff and others who knew the student may all have different needs for support to help cope with the loss and begin the healing process. Frequently used resources include Student Counseling Services and the Office of Student Assistance. Sometimes a student organization, an academic department, or an office will plan individual gatherings and memorials. Staff members from the Dean of Students Office are available to assist as needed. 

An online memorial was created in 2019 to honor the lives of the Cyclones we have lost. Please visit to learn more about grief, loss and additional resources.

If you are in need of a support resource and are unsure where to find it, please contact the Dean of Students Office.


Content on this page adapated from Dartmouth College Health Services